Great News for Sonography!
24/7 Wall St just released a report that reviews and ranks the 10 Best paying jobs of the Future.
Sonography made #2 on the list.
They reviewed many criteria, including growth, salary and requirments for the jobs. As expected jobs in the medical field topped the list. The most interested part of the medical jobs was the following:
“Because most of these positions are in the medical field, many require at least a master’s degree, and in many cases a doctoral degree. However, four have less demanding educational requirements, including the three that are growing the most. A career as a sonographer, projected to grow 43.5% with a median salary of $64,380, typically just requires an associate’s degree”Sonography includes many different specialities under the heading of Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. Some of them include Echocardiography (Cardiac Ultrasound), Vascular Sonography, Abdominal Sonography, OB/GYN Sonography, and others.
Here is the excerpt of their review on Sonography:
2. Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
> Pct. increase: 43.5%
> Total new jobs (2010-2020): 23,400
> Median income: $64,380
> States with the most jobs per capita: Rhode Island, Florida, South Dakota
Diagnostic medical sonographers work in hospitals and other facilities, conducting ultrasounds on patients and analyzing the resulting images. The BLS projects an increase of 43.5% in the number of positions between 2010 and 2020, which would raise the total number of such jobs to 77,100. Explaining the driving factors behind the growth, the BLS states that “as ultrasound technology evolves, it will be used as a substitute for procedures that are costly, invasive or expose patients to radiation.” Sonographers typically need an associate’s degree, and many employers prefer candidates to have professional certification. The top 10% of sonographers made more than $88,490 annually.
Read more: The Best Paying Jobs of the Future – 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/08/30/the-best-paying-jobs-of-the-future-2/#ixzz28zjtSZpL
As this report points out Sonography remains as one of the top fields to pursue. Especially given that it can be accomplished with under 2 years of higher education. The salary ranges reported are still in the higher level of jobs with and associate degree or less.
If you are thinking about Sonography, check out The Academy of Ultrasound, LLC
. They offer their Sonography programs in 18 months including passing the national registry. Which by the way, is generally a requirement for immediate employment.
As always, if you found this info interesting, like us and share this article with your social networks.
Since employment opportunities in ALL industries are hard to come by, even in the best of economic conditions, I am including some of the postings for ultrasound positions I have found while researching other sonography-related topics. I am providing links to positions across the U.S. in Echocardiography, Vascular, and General Ultrasound. These are just a few suggestions. Feel free to add to the list and even post other possibilities that you have encountered; but, may not be the position for you.
I have compiled this information in one place in an attempt to save time for the reader in their job search. I do hope this information is useful.
1) Echocardiography Lab; per diem – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://newjersey.jobing.com/echocardiographer-cardiac-lab-per-diem/job/employment/24047837&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoATAAOABA0Jv78QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=zUH-IFHv2X0&usg=AFQjCNHn-rPIGCh9My18tLq5IlXe4JruBQ
2) Cardiac Sonographer – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/biqxcuyf4g/cardiac-sonographer-jobs/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABA0Jv78QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=zUH-IFHv2X0&usg=AFQjCNFzJl0JBngMRaWiw3rzcFgbSJcsTA
3) Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Instructor/Clinical Director – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://jobs.studentaffairs.com/listingDetail.asp%3FjobID%3D17084&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABApZz18QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=UGj0UsaKA20&usg=AFQjCNEaoISsuoirQtSrb1rT6Y1ZsbIG3g
4) Cardiac Sonographer – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://jobs.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/boston/sonographer/jobid1629910-cardiac-sonographer-jobs&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAwO_s8QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=UqZvizo4Ao0&usg=AFQjCNGalFaj-w1n7CIkAnOM79qFDXGyFg
5) Sonographer – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://thejobfool.com/jobs/index.cfm/kw/SONOGRAPHER/l/new%2520york%2520city%2520ny/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAi-no8QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=0DFQCZqFxSM&usg=AFQjCNHuqYCbariMkcKOmElDDLMzdt9szQ
6) Cardiac Sonographer; per diem – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.berkshirejobs.com/public/viewJob.php3%3FEID2%3D24%26JID%3D7976&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAsuXo8QRIAlgBYgVlbi1VUw&cd=M71TCDDixhY&usg=AFQjCNEELeazoSCgxX4sQ-dsUD6WdKwM8A
7) Cardiac sonographer; PRN, near Pensacola, FL. – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://rgfkg.net.ms/lthzd.html&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABA1Kng8QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=KyqJ6OVfGoo&usg=AFQjCNGLgFodMxQRirj5BXkudPt3oMjeGw
8) Sonography Jobs; Redondo Beach – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://thejobfool.com/jobs/index.cfm/kw/sonographer/l/Redondo%2520Beach,%2520CA/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAj4TE8QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=OH0zqwMp_Pk&usg=AFQjCNGW69pih_owsemqDcNrG-4UXe4TEA
9) Echo-Sonographer for La Crosse in WI – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.mayo-clinic-jobs.com/job/La-Crosse-Echo-Sonographer-Job-WI-54601/1381912/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAqNi18QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=9O227UHaY1k&usg=AFQjCNGABSMMeRpst-c0EVRCH7Et7yKRug
10) Cardiovascular Sonographer; Portland, OR – http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://providence-oregonpharmacy.jobs/portland-or/sonographer-cardiovascular/379697/job/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAqNi18QRIAlgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=9O227UHaY1k&usg=AFQjCNFv771Z84k1tvNayExNoMyiJT8K6Q
** You can also go to “indeed.com” and search the job postings for ultrasound, sonography, Echocardiography, Vascular, and General ultrasound jobs available.
We invite you to follow us on FaceBook and subscribe to this blog. Thanks, again, to the Academy of Ultrasound.